By Ololade Olabisi/Lagos
A total of 100, 000 athletes from 27 countries including Nigeria will be participating in the second edition of Access Bank Lagos Marathon billed to hold from 7am to 2pm on February 11, 2017, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode said on Friday.
At least 64 elite athletes from 26 countries and 102 from Nigeria, as well as 30 special athletes will also be participating in the marathon scheduled to start from National Stadium in Surulere and terminate at Eko Atlantic City in Victoria Island.
Mr. Ambode, who addressed a world press conference on Friday at Eko Hotels and Suites in Lagos said adequate preparations have been put in place.
He assured that the marathon had been designed to be bigger and better than the previous edition.
Governor Ambode addressed journalists alongside President of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN), Mr Solomon Ogba; Acting President of International Association of Ultra runners, Mr Nadeem Khan; representatives of International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), and representatives of the sponsors of the event.
He said all the agencies of government participating in the event have been adequately mobilised, adding that Lagosians should expect the best.
He said: “We want to show the world that Lagos can be and Lagos can do what it is expected of it as a mega city; we want to show to the world the tourism potentials of Lagos; we want to show to the world that Lagos is safe; we want to show to the world that Lagos can be the choice destination for sports, tourism and entertainment and that is why we are doing this.